Welcome to Southoe and Midloe
View over Alconbury Brook and the two bridges in Southoe, Huntingdonshire
Sutham (11th century); Sutho, Suho (12th century and later);
Southogh (15th century) and Southoe (Modern).
Middelhoo, Mydelhoo (12th-16th century); Medlowe (16th century) and
The village of Southoe and tiny hamlet of Midloe is situated along
the A1 a mile or so north of St Neots. The parish extends to the
west from the River Great Ouse and the deserted Medieval village of
Boughton the site of which is just the the northwest of Boughton
Southoe was the head of the Barony of Lovetot; Eustace de Lovetot
was Sheriff of Huntingdonshire in the time of Domesday and had a
large estate in this county and elsewhere. Southoe was settled upon
Nigel Lovetot, second son of William, son of Eustace. Nigel’s
grandsons died without heirs, and the property was divided between
their three sisters; Rose, married to Elias de Amundeville, Amicia,
married to Hubert de Braunford, whose heirs took the name of Lovetot,
Margeria, wife of William Patric.
Southoe came to the Braunfords, who, under the name of Lovetot, held
it for some 200 years. Probably a small part went to Amundeville,
and in 1428 the whole was in the hands of the Earl of Stafford,
successor of Margaret one of the co-heirs of Gilbert de Clare, Earl
of Gloucester, who was killed at Bannockburn, probably descendants
of younger sons holding their estates in fee, residing in the place,
at a much later date. This property seems to have come to the family
of Rous, and about 1660 was owned by Sir Henry Pickering, of Whaddon,
An entirely distinct property in Southoe and
Hail Weston was held in
the time of Domesday by Robert Fafiton. Later on, it belonged to
Saher de Quincy, and passed, like much of his property, to the Lords
Ferrers of Chartley. A property which was probably this was
purchased by William Chaderton, Bishop of Lincoln (1596–1608), and
descended by heir-ship to Samuel Fortrey
There is a Norman church in Southoe, dedicated to St Leonard, in the
centre of the village which has one of the most highly-ornamented
Norman doorways in the county and a square embattled tower
containing a clock and four bells. There is no church in Midloe,
which itself only consists of a 16th century grange farmhouse and a
scattering of cottages.
Southoe and Midloe is one of the parishes of the District of
Huntingdonshire, whose administrative centre is
Huntingdon, the other principle towns being
home of the Chapel on the Bridge,
the largest town in the County of Cambridgeshire, the Roman town of
site of the former Abbey.
The box below displays a random selection from the great deals, special
offers and/or SALE items that are available from the
site members but you may follow this link to view all the
current what's HOT in the district.
Forthcoming Events in or around Southoe and Midloe
Here are the next five events in the Huntingdonshire Event Diary, the local ones are coloured GOLD and
clicking the title will open links to event detail on this website whilst
following the "Out of Village' events will open in a new window on their
own website. Click 'Show Summary' for exactly what it says,
without going anywhere!
If you are organising an event anywhere if Huntingdonshire then follow this link for information
on how to add a new event and advertise your event on over 50 websites
SORRY - We do not have any events in the new diary yet!